June/July Book 2011
This is the story of two debutantes who grew up in Iowa and who wanted to go to the big city. They go to New York and land jobs at Tiffany & Co – standing around looking lovely and, when someone purchased something, taking the item to be wrapped. It is an interesting story of two girls who had never seen the ocean or big cities growing up quickly with new experiences.
I know that I picked this book, and I am the first to finish it. I LOVED it! I love that it was real. I love how she described life in the United States during the war and how the end of the war united everyone. Especially this time of year, it was a reminder to be grateful to the armed forces. I loved that they went to church the day after VJ day. The quote from the reverend, I found particularly important, "Liberty is always dangerous, but it is the safest thing we have." I loved her descriptions of the clothes and the jewelry and the china. She was so meticulous in her descriptions (I know that jewelry and clothes are kinda my thing, so if you were bored to tears, sorry). I also loved her budget list (15 cents for lunch! can you imagine?). Anyway, I just thought it was such a neat little piece of history. I loved it and I hope everyone else enjoyed it!
ReplyDeleteI really, really enjoyed this book! I was a little skeptical at first because I'm usually not too into non-fiction, but the way she writes makes it such an easy read and fun to follow. It was so real, and some of the stories she told almost seemed like it was fiction but it was so crazy that it had to be real. Like the story with the pearls! That seemed like something from "I Love Lucy," or at least something that might happen to me :) I too loved her descriptions of the clothes and jewelry. I didn't think it was boring at all, in fact I wouldn't have minded a bit more detail. It made me want to (have the money to) buy more classy dresses and such :) It made me think a lot about the differences between then and now, how much they saved and used everything and how much the war affected everyone's lives. It was perfect to read around Independence Day. It definitely made me think of our service men and women. Can you just imagine what it would've been like to be two small town girls in New York at that time?? I mean she tells you pretty clearly how it was, but I mean if that were you? It would be awesome. I got so into the story that I was a little sad when they left Tiffany. I also kind of wanted her to end up with Jim, in a fiction she would have, but real life is so much better anyway. I could continue raving about this book for a while! I loved it!
ReplyDeleteOk girls I don't know why but I could not get into it. I think it is me not the book, Do you ever get in the moods where you really don't want to read. I think I'm in that now, I will read it again when I feel like reading, Lol Sorry girls..
ReplyDeleteOh Beth, I am so sad for you . . .
ReplyDeleteI understand Beth, sometimes you just need a break, or a certain kind of book just doesn't sound good at the moment, like food :)
ReplyDeleteGreat point Lyci..
ReplyDeleteI think you are both speaking a foreign language . . . but I accept that it is a language, and is simply something I do not understand :)
ReplyDeleteFinally I can get on this post. Sorry guys I have had a problem. I have written a long comment so many times and it wouldn't post. Thanks for helping me Alycia.
ReplyDeleteShort version: I loved it. I loved how everything was described in detail, from the clothes, the items they were handling at Tiffany's ect. My favorite part was the elevator and she dropped all of the pearls. Hysterical. I thought of Alycia - sorry dear, it had you and Lucille Ball written all over it.
Now off to get the Lady's slipper.